Monday, November 21, 2011

Watch your step...

My roommate junior and senior year of college was one of my best friends, KTO. We have known each other since Kindergarten and made pretty good roommates. (Or at least I think we did, she might say "that bitch never rinsed her dishes before she put them in the dishwasher," which would be true.) Katie is an overall happy, sweet person. She is very smart (very smart- I won't quote her SAT score, but it was realllly high) but sometimes lacks common sense or just doesn't pay attention to things.

A prime example of her being an amazing but goofy roommate occurred Junior year. Our buddy, Mikey, was over and he and I were watching TV. Katie came out to let us know that she was changing the A/C filter in the hall (great roommate) and that we should watch our step when walking to the bathroom (considerate friend). Mikey and I nodded and immediately turned back to the TV.

A few minutes later the TV was drowned out by a large thump and a loud groan from the hall. Katie did not heed her own advice and had fallen into the A/C pit of despair in the hall (a la Indiana Jones without the whole making it across the pit thing). I have to admit that I laughed before I knew she was OK or not- but immediately stifled it realizing that she could be seriously injured. Once we pulled her out of the pit and realized she was OK and she went to work pulling the fiber glass insulation out of her leg, I laughed so hard I cried. I always blame my insensitivity with situations like that on being raised on the Three Stooges. Injuries (not serious ones) are hilarious. Especially when they involve A/C pits of doom and despair.

1 comment: